What is Oral Hygiene?
Oral hygiene provides good smell of breath and makes mouth look good. In other words:
- Your teeth are clean and you don’t have any remnants on them.
- Your teeth are pink and they don’t bleed or hurt you when you brush or floss.
- You don’t have bad breath.
If your gums bleed or hurt while brushing or flossing or bad breath is a constant problem, see your dentist immediately. Any of these conditions may be a sign of a problem with your mouth.
Your dentist can help you learn good oral hygiene techniques and can point out some areas of your mouth that needs caring while brushing.
How is Good Oral Hygiene Practiced?
Oral Hygiene is one of the most important things you could do for your teeth and gums. Having healthy teeth makes you look and feel good and also helps you to eat and speak. Good oral hygiene is also very important for your comfort. Daily oral care including regular and proper brushing and flossing can help you prevent any problem before occurring. And this is also painless, smooth and free in comparison to medical treatment.
Except visiting dentist regularly, there are simple steps that we can take to prevent any problem with teeth and gum or to decrease the risk. These include:
- Brushing thoroughly twice a day and flossing.
- Eating balanced diet and limiting the snacks between meals.
- Using dental products that contain fluoride, including toothpaste
- Using fluoride mouth rinse with advice of your dentist.
- If you live in a non-fluoridated area, children under 12 should drink fluoridated water or take a fluoride supplement.