Hand Washing Lesson Plan For Kindergarten:
-Right click on the picture and click “save as…” to download the lesson plan-
Objective: Understand that cleanliness is important to health.
Objective: Explain the importance of being in charge of their own bodies.
- Germs are everywhere.
- Germs are so small that you cannot see them.
- Germs can make you sick.
- You can get rid of germs by washing your hands.
How to Wash Your Hands:
- Use warm, running water.
- Use liquid or pump soap whenever possible.
- Rub hands together for at least 10 seconds.
- Scrub underneath the fingernails.
- Rinse and then dry
When to Wash Your Hands:
- After using the toilet.
- Before eating or touching food.
- After playing with animals.
Use a spray bottle filled with clean water. Spray water on children’s hands. Explain that the water on their hands represents germs that come out of their mouths when they cough and
sneeze. Now have the children touch an object (i.e., table, chair, etc.). Ask them what happened to the object they touched (it became damp). Explain that this is what happens when we sneeze into our hands and then touch an object (the germs on our hands get on the object). Discuss what might happen if one of their friends touches the object while it is moist (they might pick up the germs and get sick). Explain that if you wash your hands after sneezing or coughing in them the gems will be washed away and there will be less of a chance for people to get sick.
- Hand washing message needs to be reinforced several times throughout the day, especially before lunch and after using the restroom.
- Teach by example.
- The activity asks each student to write hislher name on the bottom of the page pledging to wash their hands. You may want to post one or all of the activity sheets in the classroom to serve as a reminder of the pledge.
- Please copy the activity on the reverse side of this sheet for the children to complete.
**Please note that the hand washing lesson plan and the content on this post have been published with the permission of www.glogerm.com **